Melatonin is a naturally occurring compound that is found in animals, plants, and microbes. In the human body, melatonin is produced by the pineal gland which is located in the center of the brain outside the blood-brain barrier.
Melatonin takes part in the system to regulate the sleep-wake-up cycle. It causes drowsiness and lowers body temperature chemically.
The production of this compound in the human body is decreased as a person ages. Production of this chemical compound is inhibited by light to the retina and permitted by darkness.
The chemical name of melatonin is N-acetyl-5-mathoxytryptamine; it is an antioxidant that can easily cross cell membranes and the blood-brain barrier.
It interacts with the immune system too though the functions of melatonin in the immune system are still not clear.
Health Benefits of Melatonin Supplements
There are melatonin supplements that are beneficial to persons for whom the production is less in the body. The benefits of melatonin supplements on health are many; let us see some important benefits.
- The most important benefit of this hormone is that this helps in aiding sleep.
- Time taken to sleep is much reduced when a person takes melatonin supplements.
- Researches have shown that melatonin supplements assist in cancer therapy and improve the treatment effect for cancer patients.
- Melatonin supplements securely reinstate the body’s circadian rhythm which is found to be imbalanced in many people.
- Melatonin supplements help to reduce the formation of free radicals in the body. This stimulates the anti-aging process and keeps the person looking young.
- When melatonin supplements are provided for old age persons, it helps in the prevention of diseases such as diabetes, degenerative disorders, Alzheimer’s disease, stroke, etc.
- This also reduces aggressive behavior in psychotic patients.
- A study has found that through melatonin supplements there was a significant reduction of migraine headaches in adults.
- Sleep quality has found to be improved by the regular use of melatonin supplements at a small dosage.
How to Consume Melatonin?
As we already know the melatonin hormone takes part in sleepiness so it can be surely said that it can be consumed if sleep difficulty arrives.
In vegetables and fruits including banana and cherry, in cereals, in meats, in aromatic plants, olives, and in wine small amount of melatonin can be found.
It is the natural way to intake this component but if you want to take a melatonin supplement directly to get rid of your sleep disorder such as insomnia, you can take it directly as it comes in tablets, capsules, and liquid and available at any drug store and you can get them without a doctor’s prescription.
If you want to consume this chemical compound in form of a tablet you should know the proper dosage.
3mg is good enough to sleep properly but most of the surveys have reported that at least 2mg is required for deep sleep. It has been seen that normally people take higher doses of this compound such as 2 to 3mg.
Side Effects and Warning
Surveys have reported that consuming of .3mg melatonin regularly is successful for those who are suffering from insomnia, so take a small amount of it. It is not at all a bad idea to consult your doctor when looking to buy melatonin tablets.
However, people using melatonin has reported that it has some side effects such as irritation, frustration and it decreases the chances of conceiving a baby. Therefore the dosage should also be kept minimal as high doses may cause severe side effects.
Caution should be taken that when the person is already on certain other drugs, he should consult his physician before taking melatonin supplements.
You should never mix this compound with a number of pills of other diseases as it can be really harmful and can lead to unwanted health conditions.
Shelly Rayner is a nurse by profession. She loves writing articles, blogs and product reviews that helps users. Hopefully you will find them useful.