Photorefractive keratectomy or PRK is an unconventional refractive surgical procedure which falls under the category of Laser Eye Surgery. The aim of undergoing a PRK surgery is, like getting a LASIK surgery done, to enable the patient see without glasses.
There are too many ways in which the surgery can be conducted and fatal cases have not been reported much about.
However, recovering after the surgery is over needs attention and care. PRK recovery takes longer time than other eye surgeries.
It is very necessary to patiently bear out the semi functional state of vision during PRK recovery, as the vision improves with time after the surgery is complete, and stressing the eyes would only lead to impairment of vision in totality.
The occasional fuzziness observed during sight can be tolerated and in such conditions it is obviously advised to stay back at home and not venture out. Not only would going out with incomplete sight abilities be risky, but also staying at home will provide the adequate amount of rest needed by the eyes.
- Drinking plenty of water is very helpful as it only eggs on faster healing.
- Applying ice packs to the irritated eyes during times of imperfect vision helps. A small duration of twenty minutes, for which the ice pack can be applied, is just fine. The more frequently it is done, the better the patient would feel.
- Smoky rooms and gases should obviously be avoided to not let any unsuitable gas or fume reach the eyes. Also touching the eyes with unclean hands should be avoided.
- Not going out during daytime is the most safe during PRK recovery, as even if the patient is not severely light-sensitive, the pollution around, along with the heat of the strong rays of the sun can have adverse effects on the healing eyes.
- Drops for the eyes are invariably provided by the ophthalmologists who know about the specifications of a certain patient. The prescribed eye drops help in speeding up PRK recovery when regularly and properly applied.
Finally, checking up with the doctors every month or so is healthy and avoids risky changes being ignored.